Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Brown Bag

Every now and then in the office, we would go out and have lunch at various restaurants in downtown. They didn't have any problem asking me coming with them, but today, it was different. Early this year, when we started paying for the mortgage of our house, I felt the crunch of having to stick to a budget - no ifs no buts. We have two kids and living in California is just very much like living in Hawaii, cost-of-living-wise. I have to let go of some of the "luxuries" in life - the cable (it was hard to let go at first), buying or eating out every lunch time, a new cellphone, trips to the mall (now I just go there when I need to buy something, better yet, I go downtown!), and I could go on and on with the list. I became a member of the "soup" club - you eat instant soup at lunch ( I have a stash of them in my drawer). I literally became frugal. Being frugal is not bad (as long as you know how to carry yourself).

My boss was telling me, "Now, Lora, come with us for lunch. Life is too short. Enjoy it." He's a spinster and I told myself as far as I know I've enjoyed life already... hehehe. I'm actually happy with what I have. I've got 2 bundles of joy, a loving husband and a very supportive family. What else can I ask for? Sure, I can use a little money to buy material things, but that's not all there is to it. You have to feel happy, too. Happy with what you have. Happy, I still have my health, my kids' health, my husband's.

Yes, I brought my lunch today and will bring it everyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home